Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week it’s top ten characters you either love and everyone else hates, or you hate and everyone else loves. This one was hard for me because I don’t pay a lot of attention to what people think about the characters, or when I do I block it out because I hate when people don’t love characters as much as I do. Still, I managed to come up with eight characters I don’t like and two that I do.
Characters Everyone Loves But I Don’t
1. Aspen from The Selection series by Kiera Cass- I don’t think I’ve ever made a secret of my absolute loathing of love triangles and most of the characters on this list are part of love triangles. While I can tolerate them and understand the fact they’ve become so common in writing because they are in fact quite common, when I can’t stand one-third of the triangle it sort of ruins it for me. In this case, I hated Aspen from the start before there even was a love triangle to make it any worse.
2. Gale from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins- I liked Gale well enough in the beginning, probably because he was barely in the first book. As soon as the I started the second though I wished he just wasn’t there.
3. Simon from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare- I don’t hate Simon and later on in the books I started to enjoy his character more, but in the beginning I really didn’t like him.
4. Archer from Fire by Kristin Cashore- I don’t remember a point in this book when I ever liked Archer. He was moody and annoying and took Fire for granted constantly.
5. Zayne from The Dark Elements by Jennifer L. Armentrout- Another love triangle. I know tons of people wanted Layla to end up with Zayne but I really, really didn’t like him.
6. Heath from House of Night by P.C. and Kristin Cast- He wouldn’t have been that bad if he was only in the first book or two. But he was just so persistant with his unrequited love and Zoe just encouraged him constantly. I seriously fucking hated him.
7. Micah Bayer from The Seven Realms by Cinda Williams Chima- I understand his character. I get where he’s coming from. I see why he was important to the plot. I know he begins to redeem himself at the end. However, none of this is ever going to get me to like him.
8. Blake from Lux by Jennifer L. Armentrout- I really really really hated him. I was convinced he’d turn out to be an asshole. AND HE DID.
Characters Everyone Hates But I Don’t
9. Clary from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare- I’m a little surprised that so many people seem to hate her. Yes, she’s a little immature; she’s a teenager. Yes, she’s occasionally whiny; her mother’s in a coma and she just found out monsters are real. I absolutely think she’s entitled to screw up sometimes but in my opinion, there are so many more annoying female leads in YA right now.
10. Bella from Twilight by Stephenie Meyer- I, honest to God, cannot believe I just typed that… I loved Twilight when I was a teenager but once the movies started coming out and I got a little older, I very firmly settled into the group of people who hate it. Nevertheless, I think everyone needs to ease up a little on Bella. I am not and never was blind to her faults (or that of any of the other characters). They have problems and they, very frequently, behave impulsively and irrationally, but everyone seems to forget that at the base of it, Bella is a teenager who is, at least in the first couple books, very much out of her depth with pretty much everything that happens. She makes A LOT of mistakes but I think that’s the most human thing about her.
These are my ten. Do you agree or disagree with any of my choices? What are your top ten? Let me know in the comments. As always, thanks for reading.